- PHP 5.6 or greater is recommended. It is good practice to update the PHP version before the end-of-life where that version is no longer supported even with security fixes.
- WordPress 3.0 or greater is recommended. Versions before 3.0 are untested and may have compatibility issues.
- In wp-config.php define( WP_DEBUG’, false ); If debug displays errors on a live production site animations will not work and other scripts may break.
- The latest version of the plugin (premium or standard) is highly recommended.
- Internal Link Finder should work with all themes out of the box but we highly recommend making sure that your theme is updated to the latest version.
- Some features are only available with the premium version of the plugin Please check below documentation to ensure the feature you are using is available on your version of the plugin.
PHP 5.6 or greater is recommended before installation
- Navigate to the plugins menu.
- Search for ‘Internal Link Finder’
- Click ‘Install Now’ followed by ‘Activate’
- You’ll now be able to use Internal Link Finder on the frontend of your website. Please ensure you are logged in as an admin or editor to use the plugin.
Updating to a new version
Always back up your website prior to updating the plugin. We test release updates thoroughly but we are humans and sometimes we miss things. Please ensure that you have a recent backup of your site in which you can restore to incase of any problems.
The potential links tab is used to find potential internal links to the page that you are currently viewing.
Use the search input given to search a key phrase or word. If the search is valid it will return a list of pages within your website that the inputted keyphrase/word occurs on. This is an extremely useful way to find pages that should be linking back to the page you are viewing. The more backlinks you have to your page, the better the benefit on your page SEO.
The search only returns results from searching the WordPress standard content and title by default. To enable search of Advanced Custom Fields and meta data you must enable the feature in the settings tab.
Note: the search results exclude pages that are already linking back to the page
Linking back to your page
Clicking on any of the returned search results will take you through to the backend of that page. You will then automatically have to insert the anchor link to the page.
Clicking on the link icon () will take you through to the frontend of the page so that you can view the frontend of the content.
Inserting a link back to a page
You can add links at your own will. But to really benefit from the backlink we recommend following these simple instructions:
- Find the most relevant piece of text on the page to link.
- Dont link to the same page twice
- Keep your anchor text short and simple
- Have different anchor texts linking to your page. (from different pages) e.g don’t keep your anchor text as ‘design’, change it up a little ‘designing’, ‘designers’, ‘design work’ etc
The current links tab lists all of the links that are currently linking to the page you are on. This is helpful to manage all of the current links on your site.